Lukanga Water Supply and Sanitation Company Limited (LgWSC) is a private Company established under the Companies Act CAP 388 of the Laws of Zambia. It was incorporated on 21st March 2006 as a Commercial Utility (CU) limited by shares but wholly owned by the local authorities in Central Province. The CU was established as part of the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) water sub-sector reforms to improve delivery of Water Supply, Sewerage and Sanitation Services to the Urban and Peri-urban population in Central Province.
The Company was initially set out to provide water and sewerage service to the urban and peri urban areas of Central Province. However, the mandate of the Company is being transformed to include onsite sanitation and water supply services to rural areas within its areas of operation. The new mandate has seen the name change of the Company from Lukanga Water and Sewerage Company Limited (LgWSC) to Lukanga Water Supply and Sanitation Company Limited (LgWSC).
LgWSC is owned by 12 Local Authorities in Central Province. These are Chibombo Town Council, Chisamba Town Council, Chitambo Town Council, Itezhi-Tezhi Town Council, Kabwe Municipal Council, Kapiri Mposhi Town Council, Luano Town Council, Mkushi Town Council, Mumbwa Town Council, Ngabwe Town Council, Serenje Town Council and Shibuyunji Town Council.
The Company Head Office is situated in Kabwe, the Provincial Headquarters of Central Province. It is governed by the Articles of Association which stipulates the composition of the Board, which is appointed by the Shareholders and ratified by the Government of the Republic of Zambia through the Ministry of Water Development, Sanitation and Environmental Protection.
The Board of Directors appoints the Managing Director as the Chief Executive Officer of the Company for the day to day Company operations.
The Managing Director executes his functions through a Directorate of Engineering, Three Departments of Commercial and Business Development, Finance and Human Resources and Administration, Public Relations and Procurement are Units falling under the direct Supervision of the Managing Director.
The Water Company is regulated by the National Water Supply and Sanitation Council whose duties among others is to set standards for service provision, ensure sustainability - total cost recovery in the sector as well as Protect the consumer and environment.
A dependable, innovative and commercially viable utility Company that provides quality water and sanitation services to all customers of Central Province in an equitable manner.
To provide customers in Central Province with reliable, affordable and cost-reflective water supply and sanitation services in a sustainable, equitable and resilient manner.
Integrity & Professionalism
Know and do what is right in unbiased, conflict of interest and/ or influence free service delivery.
Our strength, highly skilled, motivated, innovative, team of workers who are ready to provide service to all the customers that we cherish and are the reason we exist.
Together everyone achieves more work.
Everything we do should be of outstanding quality
Responsive system that withstands and absorbs changes in the operating environment.
To be accountable to our stakeholders on all our mandates.
Openness to all stakeholders on service delivery.
Treat others the way you would want to be treated.
Sensitive information should not be disclosed to third parties.
To improve water supply and sanitation service delivery to the people of Central Province.
- To enhance good corporate governance, self-regulatory standards and leadership development to ensure accountability, transparency, equality, efficiency, responsiveness, sustainability, and maintain high levels of integrity by 2025.
- To increase water coverage from 84% to 90% by 2025.
- To increase access to safely managed sanitation and sanitation coverage from 55% to 70% by 2025.
- To achieve and maintain a high level standard of customer care and stakeholder satisfaction by 2025.
- To mobilise financial resources and to enhance collection efficiency to 100% in order to facilitate for investment, business growth and achieve viability by 2025.
- To attract, develop and retain highly qualified, skilled, innovative, committed and motivated staff in order to improve staff efficiency from 0.67 to 0.55by 2025.
- To reduce NRW from 50% to 40% by 2025.
- To achieve and maintain 98% water quality compliance at an average of 20 hours water supply per day by 2025.
- To develop reliable, secure, and efficient information management systems and infrastructure that maximizes staff potential to foster innovation, customer care and decision making by December 2025.
LgWSC provides water services to both Urban and Peri-urban Areas in Eight serviced Town Councils in Central Province with a coverage of 83.4% of the total population covered.
LgWSC currently provides clean, safe and treated water to close to 30 Thousand connections among them water kiosks, communal stand taps and individual water connections.
The Company has an approved Water Supply and Sanitation a block rising tariff covering various categories of customers such as Domestic, institutional and Commercial customers.
The Company also provides a water bowser for bulk water sales.
The Company has sanitation coverage of 54% out of the total population covered in the districts it serves. The company offers the sanitation services through, Offsite sewer treatment, desludging of septic tank, unblocking of sewer networks as well as Vacuum Tanker Services.
- Leak repairs after the meter
- Water Quality tests